Wednesday, May 9, 2012

supplication from a stupid sheep


You are my shepherd,
and in the right frame of mind,
I shall not want.

You've given me everything a sheep could ask for!

Grass to eat, a flock to hang with,
a good shepherd,
a safe bed at night.

And I love you.

But will you be mad with me if I run away?

Paranoid of the other sheep,
anxious that you are untrustworthy,
poisoned, driven mad by snake's venom flowing through my veins.

What if I run,
not just to get caught in brambles,
or lost,

but what if I run
to throw myself off a cliff?

Will you come and get me then?

Will you bring me back,
and bury my body?

When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
you are with me,
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Except when I think they're an illusion,
or the night is too dark to see them clearly.

You spread a banquet before me in the presence of my enemies,
but my food turns to ashes in my mouth,
and I can't raise the glass to my lips.

Surely goodness, mercy, your faithful loving-kindness will follow me all the days of my life,
but sometimes, in all the wrong circumstances,
loneliness batters me,
and I feel unaccompanied.

I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment